The LRC is a complete language learning facility equipped with the latest multimedia equipment, a state of the art computer lab, and two smart classrooms to facilitate quality language learning.
Overview of the LRC
Individual Use Areas
60 stations, equipped with the latest Windows and Mac machines. These powerful computers are specially configured for accessing high-bandwidth online video course materials at near-DVD quality and are set up to support multilingual Web browsing, Word processing with editing and proofing tools in more than 40 languages, as well as some specialized software programs designed specifically for language study.
International TV Area
Located across from the LRC Front Desk are two television monitors with access to international TV. Several armchairs are available, and wireless headsets may be checked out from the Front Desk.
There is a small reading area with two armchairs and a small table at the back or the LRC. It provides a quiet area to read, study, or use your own laptop computer (power outlets are available). The windows provide a scenic view of Harvard Square.
Group Computing Areas*
There are two open area computing sections appropriate for group use. In addition, larger classes can reserve additional computers in the aisles.
PC Group Computing Area
The Dell PC group computing area has six computers and an open center area. Several computers have VCR's, and all are capable of multiple headsets per computer, allowing students to share a station.
Macintosh Group Computing Area
The Macintosh group computing area has six Macintosh computers in a open group setting. Some can handle multiple headsets, allowing students to share a computer station.
Camera Con Vista
Camera Con Vista is the larger room, and can comfortably accommodate 18 students. This room has a 52" Sony LCD HDTV, a Region-free DVD player, a world-standard VCR, a Sony Playstation3, DishNetwork HD receiver, a computer, webcam, and a USB conference phone for use with Skype. Audio CD's can also be played using the computer, and LRC online materials may be accessed on the big screen for group use.
Das Fernsehzimmer is the smaller room, holding up to 10 students. This room has an enormous wall-mounted plasma screen for viewing DVD's from all zones as well as VHS videos of all major international standards. The instructor can also display the computer desktop on the plasma for group software instruction, etc. This room also has a theatrical-quality built-in audio system.
* Group Areas— Policies on Reservations and Use
- LRC facilities may be reserved by course heads or by TFs/staff assistants acting on behalf of a course head.
- Advance reservations or standing reservations can be accepted only from foreign-language courses or from foreign-language-related courses, e.g., core courses of the FC designation.
- Other FAS courses may reserve LRC facilities, when available, no more than 72 hours in advance.
- Non-FAS Harvard University courses/departments are generally ineligible to use or reserve LRC facilities. Faculty/departments requesting exceptions for special circumstances/events should contact the Director.